Associate in Science
Major in Culinary Arts
The Associate Degree program in Science in Culinary Arts in its dual language modality combines a supervisory base with professional courses, Garde Manger, Baking and Pastry, Cooking Methods and International Cuisine. Emphasis is placed on hands-on practice and the development of specialized skills for work in the field in both languages (English and Spanish). This program offers options that prepare the student for advancement into entry-level management positions, with the added benefit of being able to work in both languages. A Practicum experience of 350 hours is required in a restaurant, convention centers or hotel setting.
QYLE 110-O Attitude Development and University Adaptation
MATH 120-O Introduction to Algebra
SPAN 115-O Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication in Spanish I
ENGL 115-O English Reading and Writing II
CHEF 116-O Culinary Arts Basic Components
HMNG 201-O Food and Beverage Management
HMNG 207-O Basic Wines, Beers and Spirits
HMNG 211-O Hospitality Ethics
HMNG 220-O Purchasing and Menu Development
CHEF 104-O Meat Cutting *
CHEF 105-O Food Preparation I *
CHEF 107-O Food Preparation II *
CHEF 200-O Baking I *
CHEF 202-O Garde Manger & Buffet Preparation
CHEF 204-O Culinary Nutrition
CHEF 206-O Baking II *
CHEF 213-O International Cuisine I *
CHEF 214-O International Cuisine II *
CHEP 231-O Culinary Practicum (350 Hours)
ENGL 116-O Reading and Writing II
SPAN 116-O Reading, Writing and Oral Communication in Spanish II
- *Course and Laboratory
- Language skills in English and Spanish will be assessed with a placement test. Additional language courses may be needed according to the student’s proficiency in each language. If students qualify for Preparatory Language Courses or Developmental Language Courses, they must enroll in the courses immediately to increase academic performance in the language.
- Core/Professional Courses (CHEF and HMNG) must have a minimum final grade of C. Practicum must have a minimum grade of B.
- ServSafe Certification is required for graduation and for CHEP 231-O. This certification will cost $150.00.
- All students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.00 to graduate
- QYLE 110-O must be taken within the first term of enrollment.