The Ana G. Mendez University- Alternative Certification Program is not admitting candidates effective August 22, 2022.
Questions or concerns, please email Dean of School of Education, Rosa Reyes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates will be begin with completing 156 clock hours of coursework/training and 40 clock hours of classroom field-based experience. The coursework and training includes understanding the required state curriculum, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) in instructional planning, delivery and assessment in the EC-6 classroom. Integration of literacy and technology in other content areas, classroom management and the pedagogical foundations of the supplemental area of choice are also included in the curriculum. A Statement of Eligibility (SOE) will be given upon completion of the 156 clock hours and required mastery on certification tests, which is needed for teaching internship or clinical teaching.
The remaining 114 clock hours of coursework/training dives deep into math and science in the classroom; data driven instruction and the pedagogy and responsibilities of Texas educators. Candidate must complete 310 clock hours of coursework/training to meet all the curriculum requirements of AGMU-ACP. In addition, candidates must take and pass the TExES EC-6 with STR and supplemental exam of target area to qualify for an internship under an intern certificate, and the PPR for a probationary certificate.
Ethics and Integrity
As a teacher in the state of Texas, you are bound by the Educator’s Code of Ethics and Standards under Texas Administrative Code Title 19, Part 7, Chapter 247, where “the Texas educator, in maintaining the dignity of the profession, shall respect and obey the law, demonstrate personal integrity, and exemplify honesty.”
Candidates are required to complete 40 clock hours of field-based experience. The candidate will be involved in interactive and reflective observation of students and teachers in the daily educational activities and instruction.
Candidates can arrange observations for field-based experience by going to the school district’s website and contacting the Human Resource Department regarding “Student Observation”. Districts will require your fingerprints be completed with TEA, may also require a Criminal History background check and/or a copy of your program acceptance letter. See “Requirements” for additional information on fingerprinting and Criminal History background check.
Clinical Teaching vs. Internship
Clinical Teaching and Internship are the two routes for completing a teacher practicum. To become a certified teacher you must complete all the program requirements, including all test requirements for an area of certification and an internship or Clinical Teaching. Only upon completion of all requirements, candidates will be recommended for a Texas Standard Certificate. The AGMU-ACP Advisory board considers recommendations and gives final approval.
|Complete 156 clock hours of coursework and training||Complete 156 clock hours of coursework and training|
|A 14 week clinical teaching placement; unpaid and full time assignment or a 28 week placement; unpaid and half time placement.||Two consecutive, successful semesters in a paid teaching position.|
|If late hire, candidate has 90 days from beginning of internship to complete above requirements.|
|Passing scores on tests for area of certification and meet requirements for criminal background check||Passing scores on tests for area of certification and meet requirements for criminal background check|
|AGMU-ACP determines eligibility for clinical teaching by verifying coursework and training requirements and passing scores on tests for area of certification.||AGMU-ACP determines eligibility for teaching internship and provides candidate with Statement of Eligibility for employment.|
|AGMU-ACP will provide assignment for candidate, candidate will not contact schools directly.||Candidate secures a teaching assignment in grade level and subject of target certification.|
|Candidate applies for intern or probationary certificate, valid for one calendar year. Program will recommend candidate for appropriate certificate.||Candidate applies for intern or probationary certificate, valid for one calendar year. Program will recommend candidate for appropriate certificate.|
|Candidate will be assigned and experienced, certified cooperating teacher, an AGMU-ACP field supervisor, and/or mentor. Refer to AGMU-ACP Educator’s Handbook.||Candidate will be assigned an experienced, certified mentor and AGMU-ACP field supervisor. Refer to AGMU-ACP Educator’s Handbook.|
|Refer to AGMU-ACP Educator’s Handbook for ongoing support and supervision requirements.||Refer to AGMU-ACP Educator’s Handbook for ongoing support and supervision requirements.|
|Completion of all requirements and with AGMU-ACP recommendation, candidate will apply for the standard certificate.||Completion of all requirements and with AGMU-ACP recommendation, candidate will apply for the standard certificate.|
AGMU-ACP Completion Requirements
- Pass with a B or higher grade on all courses required
- Complete and meet all requirements of 40 clock hours of Field Based Experience
- Complete and meet a satisfactory score on required trainings
- Have a passing score on Certification Test:
- Core Subjects EC-6 (TExES #391) and Science of Teaching Reading (TExES #293)
- AND Passing score on target Supplemental Area Certification Test(s)
- Bilingual Education Supplemental (TExES #164) and Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT) – Spanish (TExES #190) or
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (TExES #154) or
- Special Education Supplemental (TExES #163)
- AND Passing score on Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities EC-12 (TExES #160) required for Probationary Certificate
- Have a overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in a scale of 4.00 points
- Obtain an Intern or Probationary Certificate
- Successful completion of the internship or clinical teaching (156 clock hours of coursework, 40 clock hours of field-based experience and passing score on certification tests for target area are ALL required prior to internship or clinical teaching)
- Completion of 310 clock hours of coursework/training to complete all requirements of AGMU-ACP
- Candidates are recommended for a Texas Standard Certificate upon successful completion of all program requirements. The AGMU-ACP Advisory Committee considers recommendations and gives approval for certification.